Out of the more than a dozen eggs we put in our incubator we recently had ONE of our eggs hatch! Don't be too sad for us. We had almost given up the whole lot of eggs as a failure and thrown them away! I'm sure glad we didn't or we might have lost our little squishy (that's what we're calling her/him/it).

A few nights ago J called me into his office to tell me he swore he had heard a chirping coming from one of the eggs. I was skeptical, (I had no idea they could do that!) but he brought the incubator out to the kitchen. Sure enough, I soon heard it myself...a little cheeping coming from one of the eggs! I couldn't pinpoint which one but it was sure exciting! The next day our little squishy chirped all day in his egg, and towards late afternoon, I started hearing one of the eggs moving on the metal of the incubator. I stared intently for awhile and finally pinpointed a little green egg in the center that was doing little movements. I called the kids in and decided to rotate the incubator so I could get a view of the whole egg, and lo and behold, there was a little piece of shell on the backside that had been worked away! We all watched, mesmerized. Then I rotated the incubator even further, and there was an even bigger hole! This one had a little beak that could be seen going in and out. So cool!















Well, our little squish never took a break (and he chirped like crazy the whole time!) He tirelessly worked at that shell and membrane and then rocked and rolled until he finally threw himself from that egg! Then he proceeded to stumble all around the incubator walking all over the other eggs as if to say "Wimps!"
















I feel so bad for the little guy because he is all alone! He loves attention and will stand up on his little teddy bear we've given him and chirp super loud and frantically until I come and poke my head over the box. Then he rushes to my side of the box and does this excited little "pleasure chirp" like he's talking to me. He completely holds still while we stroke him and talk to him.
















We are going on vacation and I tried so hard to convince Jay that we could bring him for an 8 hour drive to So. California in his little incubator and just plug it into a car adapter or something, but he won't let me :( I'm so sad that he's going to be calling for someone to come and won't have any attention except for the neighbor girl changing his water once a day. I hope he doesn't forget me.....


This entry was posted on 6:04 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Karen said...

    I would have babysat squishy!

  1. ... on October 18, 2009 at 2:24 PM  
  2. Jeanne said...

    Hey, that is so exciting!! Imagine seeing Squishy actually hatch. Wowie!

  3. ... on October 29, 2009 at 4:26 AM